Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Packing Dilemma


(A nod to The Yuppie Dilemma for the creative inspiration)


There is one great challenge that every backpacker faces, far exceeding that of pickpockets, missed flights, or language barriers. I'm referring, of course, to the packing dilemma.


If you're a typical leet griller backpacking through Europe immediately after your college graduation, you usually leave your hostels within ten minutes of a far-too early wakeup, either to check out or catch a flight/boat/train, and you are rarely in a fully clearheaded state of mind. There is a natural but tragic consequence to this fact: things get lost.


Since the start of this trip on June 1, I have lost: my adaptor (€26 to replace), one of the two pairs of shorts I brought to Europe with me, my rain jacket, and my favorite sweatshirt. (I have, surprisingly, retained my dignity, even in Amsterdam). All told, the total replacement value is probably around $100. I've learned a lesson from this experience: I could have packed more lightly; I'm doing fine with just one hoodie and one pair of shorts.


Beyond that, though, I'm struck by the realization that, with each passing day, college slips further and further into my past. My hoodie and rain jacket were both BC Bookstore products, purchased way back in 2006 when the bookstore was still independent. They were staples of my wardrobe during my four years at BC (and I dare say I looked stunning in them). I wore them to display my school pride (and to accentuate the color in my eyes) at football games, parties, classes, and long walks through the rain. Now they are gone, and I am fully aware that the day will come when my BC wardrobe will have dwindled down to nothing. Sure, I can always purchase more BC gear, but it will be the wardrobe of an alumnus and not a student.


I can only pray that I look as good and feel as comfortable in alumni clothing as I did in my dear departed sweatshirt.

1 comment:

  1. haha this made my day dude, dope post. I might wanna re-blog this, check your inbox later

    ReplyDelete